Summer has officially arrived, and with it Port Coquitlam’s annual “Summer in the City” festival. The festival features free community programs and events for all ages in Leigh Square Community Arts Village and local parks. There’s a farmers’ market, the Village Vibe Performing Arts Series, Music in the Park, and Cinema Under the Stars. Check out local musicians, performers and artists, patronize local farmers, and take in popular films. The city promises that there’s something for everyone to enjoy between July and August.
Summer in the City in Port Coquitlam
Here are some highlights of Port Coquitlam’s Summer in the City festival:
- Port Coquitlam Farmers Market is back for its fourth season every Thursday from 3:00-7:00pm until September 27, 2012 in Leigh Square. Along with fresh vegetables, fruit, baking and crafts there will be interesting and exciting events, performances and themes every week. Visit www.haneyfarmersmarket.org for more information.
- Village Vibe takes place on a covered outdoor stage at Leigh Square every Saturday afternoon at 2:00pm during July and August, and features emerging performers in dance, music and improv. The program is free and aims to enhance the artistic and cultural life of Port Coquitlam, while providing opportunities for local artists to gain exposure and experience in front of a live audience. All ages welcome. Program runs rain or shine. Visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/
leighsquarefor the upcoming line up.
- Music in the Park takes place in Lions Park every Sunday at 2:00pm throughout July and August. It features the professional musicians from across Metro Vancouver playing a variety of genres including jazz, blues, folk, world fusion, and contemporary. All ages welcome. Check www.portcoquitlam.ca/
leighsquarefor the upcoming line up. Note that in the event of rain, the concert may be cancelled.
- Cinema Under the Stars offers an unforgettable Friday night experience. The 26 foot tall silver screen will be traveling around Port Coquitlam’s parks so pack a picnic, bring a blanket and round up some friends or bring the whole family out. Starting July 13, 2012, movies run every second Friday during July and August. The shows start at 9:00pm during July and 8:30pm during August. In the event of rain, the film will be moved to the following Friday. Visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/
leighsquareor call 604.927.8400 for show info.
- Arts and Culture Camps are a week long, and run at Leigh Square for children age 4-14 years – a unique mix of the arts, play and memorable experiences! Children and teens get to explore their creative side while experimenting with various visual and performing art styles, making friends and having a blast while they’re at it.! All camps include a mix of recreation, games, play time, along with fun art activities. For more information, or to register, visit www.experienceit.ca.