Free Outdoor Movies…Coming to a Tri-Cities Location Near You!
Grab a blanket, pop some popcorn and get ready for some outdoor evening of fun with your family and friends this summer. There are lots of outdoor movies showing here in the Tri-Cities, and we have the scoop.
10 Things to Know Before You go to a Free Outdoor Movie
- These events are free! Okay, so I gave it away in the first line but it’s still one of the best things about these outdoor events.
- Plan ahead. Some locations have limited parking so you may want to go early to grab a spot or think of alternative options such as transit, walking, biking, skateboarding or car-pooling. Sometimes there are entertainment, demos, etc. before the movie so you may also want to arrive early to enjoy the “extras”.
- There’s something for everyone. Many of the movies are kid-friendly so it’s a great cheap family event. But there are movies for adults too, so check the ratings before you tote the kids along.
- Pack snacks. Well, you don’t have to but a movie without munchies is like an umbrella without rain, a leash without a dog, a…you get my point.
- Pamper your tush. Comfort is key, so bring a blanket or a lawn chair to sit on.
- Don’t forget a jacket. As the sun goes down the cool breezes come in and it can get a little chilly some nights. Blankets are great to cuddle up into as well.
- Bring your humour. I attended a showing of Jaws last year and when the infamous music started to play, a guy wearing a homemade shark fin hat made his way through the crowd and past the screen in a swimming-like motion. You never know what’s going to happen at these outdoor movie events.
- Don’t expect peaceful serenity. It’s not like a movie-theatre atmosphere where silence is the etiquette (see #7). Imagine cheers and jeers, kids wandering about, people randomly chatting. It’s definitely different but that’s part of its charm.
- Bring some money. Sometimes there will be vendors at these events. There may be snacks being sold such as popcorn or even locally made handicrafts to peruse through before the show. Keep in mind that different organizations put on these free movie events, so amenities offered may vary.
- Details can change. Starting times can be approximate, movie titles can change or events can be cancelled due to weather. Double-check details closer to to date if you are concerned of any changes.
2012 Tri-Cities Free Outdoor Movie Event Listing
“Cinema Under the Stars” for Leigh Square Community Arts Village
|Friday, July 13*||9:00pm||Sun Valley Park, Port Coquitlam||Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax|
|Friday, July 27*||9:00pm||Gates Park, Port Coquitlam||Real Steel|
|Friday, August 10*||8:30pm||Gates Park, Port Coquitlam||The Help|
|Friday, August 24*||8:30pm||Sun Valley Park, Port Coquitlam||Despicable Me|
*In the event of rain, film will be moved to the following Friday. To confirm details, check the Port Coquitlam website or call 604-927-8400.
“Booster Juice presents: Suter Brook Movie Nights”
|Saturday, August 25||8:30pm||Suter Brook Bandstand, Port Moody||The Transformers|
To confirm details, go to Suter Brook Facebook Page or email email@example.com.
“The Vancity Fresh Air Film Tour”
|Sunday, August 19||9:00pm||Rocky Point Park, Port Moody||TBA|
To confirm details, go to the Port Moody website, closer to the date.
“Coquitlam’s Inspiration Garden Presents: A Family-Friendly Environmental Documentary”
|Saturday, August 25||At Dusk||Inspiration Garden, Coquitlam||TBA|
To confirm details, go to the Coquitlam website, closer to the date.
Are you putting on a free outdoor movie event in the Tri-Cities this summer? Let our readers know by adding the details below!